I was and still am very inspired by what I saw. Here is a small project I made after we visited the exhibition.
A bracelet with a handmade button.
Boro is the clothing that was worn by peasants, merchants or artisans in Japan from Edo up to early Showa (17th – early 19th century). In feudal times, the majority were peasant farmers. Not everyone could afford the lavish silk kimono and vivid obi worn by the aristocracy. Clothes were crafted from cheaper materials, but were no less beautiful than those worn by the upper classes.
Literally translated as rags or scraps of cloth, the term boro is also used to describe clothes and household items which have been patched-up and repaired many times.
Once clothing was made, it would be maintained throughout the owner’s lifetime, or perhaps even longer.
Cotton was scarce in Japan, but hemp was abundant. Hemp would be homespun and woven into beautifl patterns. Cotton could be woven through the hemp fabrics to make it warmer.
(source: https://furugistarjapan.wordpress.com)For more information go to https://furugistarjapan.wordpress.com/2011/02/18/boro-japanese-folk-fabric/
Oh, how BEAUTIFUL!! I just love look of Boro, and hard not to be inspired by the history behind it--how pieces of clothing were in families for generation. Your fabric bracelet is a lovely reminder of you museum visit.--very, very pretty! (And I like that tiny silver bird charm bracelet too!) I'm very inspired by kantha and Boro stitching. Thank you for this inspiration and history-rich post!! :o) ((HUGS))
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful exhibit. Thanks for showing us a bit of it and for including the information on Boro. Your bracelet is so pretty. I can see more in your future - perhaps one for your daughter?
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! What a great exhibit. Lucky you to be able to see it. Did you plan to go there or were you just in Germany on holidays? I love anything Japanese, so the description and making of Boro is interesting to me. I love your little bracelet So pretty!
ReplyDeleteFascinating! I love learning something new. Thanks for sharing this interesting show. Just love your bracelet! Very clever. Have a wonderful weekend! XO
ReplyDeleteHandwork, regardless of materials used, is always fascinating to me. I love Japanese textiles. Lovely bracelet.
ReplyDelete